Chicopee

Chicopee

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Changes of State

“state change - a change from one state (solid or liquid or gas) to another without a change in chemical composition”

Lately, there have been plenty of state changes. This definitely affects the life of a runner.

This time of year makes me happy as spring is just around the corner, but it also calls for much more planning when it comes to the timing of runs.

During the day, when the sun is shining and the temperatures rise, the snow melts, causing snow banks to turn to water and spill into the sidewalks. Since this is water, people do not necessarily think to put salt on their walks to prevent the freezing, so when the temperatures drop when the sun sets, the water turns to a thin (or sometimes not so thin) layer of ice.

Morning before work = ice
Sunset time of just after 6pm = ice
Work hours = nice and sunny and no ice, but I’m at work

So… if I can manage to get home before 5:30 pm (a rare occurrence), I have a small window of opportunity to run without icy sidewalks. I attempted this today, but when I got outside to start my run around 6:00, the ice had already started to form. Luckily, I was able to find some fairly dry sidewalks.

Welcome to March.

Today’s Run:
Distance: 7 km
Weather: I forgot to check (it was –2 C at 8pm and I ran at 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment